QUOTES

"Live life on purpose ~ not by accident" ~ Alicia

"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there."
-- Author Unknown

"A laugh is a smile that bursts.” ~ Mary H. Waldrip

"Set your goals high and don't be deterred by those who say it is impossible." ~ Steve Fossett

"Our Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless."
Jamie Paolinetti

"A day without laughter ~ is a day wasted"
Charlie Chaplin

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
— Martin Luther King Jr.

"Gratitude is an inner smile shared" ~ Alicia

Monday, July 12, 2010

Choices we face everyday, my friends.

Choices ~ Choices we face every day My friends, I’ve been thinking about the choices we face ~ and get to make every day. Some related to our Rheumatoid Arthritis, or other Chronic Illnesses ~ others, choices from normal everyday situations. Let me know your thoughts and if you can relate. When I wake up ~ sometimes I feel a sense of fear ~ of what my day will bring. Waking up to stiff, swollen hands, feet that shuffle like Tim Conway’s “old Man”, and just plain old blah. I just don’t know what will come. But I have choices ~ fear or faith. Opening up our eyes to a bright new day ~ we can say, "thank goodness I woke up on the right side of the daisies", or we can start our day grumpy. Shuffling to the bathroom to start the medicine routine ~ you can hate the fact that you have to take some of your meds now (and a bunch of them) - and they give you side effects...or we can say, "wow - people spent so much time figuring out how to make meds to improve my quality of life." Off to the second part of the medicine taking ~ with food...shuffle downstairs, find something that is appealing (sometimes with no appetite) so you can take the rest of the meds to loosen you up. You can be grateful for knowing that in about an hour or so, you might be a little looser ~ life will be a bit better. :), or you can grumble because you don’t have any appetite. I know, for me ~ I am very competitive ~ even with myself. When I had shoulder surgery, I used to time myself for getting ready (17 mins). Now, I could get discouraged that now it takes me a full 1 1/2 hours to get ready if I take a shower and do my make up and tiny bit of hair. (bangs) Or ~ I can be glad when it is all done and I look pretty good. Losing hair sucks. It just does. I am finding good product that is going to help nourish my hair. I am grateful I have thick hair (for now), so it isn’t that noticeable. I can just keep trying to keep it looking healthy, and not crying when I lose a hundred hairs in the shower or I can fall apart. On the hair subject ~ I don’t have energy to get full on ready each day, so on most days ~ I am just wearing a headband. (now, that makes me look bald!) :) Today, I bought a funky hat to wear. So I can look funky and have another look on a tired day. Choices. To end this blog ~ choices we face starting each day...I find how I look, affects how I feel. I have to take the time (albeit slow) to put a little makeup, do a little something with my hair, and I just went out and bought some cute dressy tank tops (from TJMaxx on sale), to go with my comfy black and tan Naturalizer sandals. Do I stay in bed, even though I feel like it? Nope ~ haven’t once. Do I take a nap? No, I do a few Yoga poses (down dog is great to get energy), or go for a little walk. Am I bummed out? Sure am. Does the pain suck? Mmmm hmmm. Does ice cream help? YES! :) Do I have faith? Tremendously. Faith in my “Big Guy”, faith in my doctors, and faith in myself. So, when you get up everyday ~ do a mental checklist...get up ~ check ~ good attitude ~ check ~ taking meds to help you with quality of life ~ check ~ eat ~ check ~ exercise ~ check ~ ice cream ~ check! Feel good about yourself from the inside out ~ or maybe ~ somedays (most days) feel good from the outside in, but if that makes you feel even a little bit better to face the world, isn’t it worth it? Working to Thrive, my friends. Let’s beat this thing together. Please follow my blog and write to me - I know most of you are writing on Facebook pages your very positive feedback - but post it here to help others. Thank you for your time, and honesty. Healing hugs - Alicia

No comments: