Hello again, my friends!
I saw my doc today ~
shared with him my blog,
One of the pieces of advice
he gave me was this...
"Tell them the inspiring
things you do everyday,
no matter what. Explain
to them how you do it and
how they can do it too!"
Dr. K. thought a lot of my
story, right now, although
difficult, is remarkable in
that I am not giving up my
workouts and daily routine.
So, my friends, I am going to
lay it out for you and hope it helps you!
- No matter what ~ you must move your body. There are great video's like Peggy Cappy - Yoga for Arthritis. Perfect ~ even if all you can do is finger exercises...and they are awesome!
- Find a Yoga studio and meet with the instructor. Even if yoga is not your "thing" ~ trust me when I say, I tried everything...and for 10 years, yoga is what I can consistently do ~ modified every day. A great instructor will guide you to the appropriate classes...like Gentle Yoga.
- If you have a pet, go for walks. If you don't ~ go for walks. Bundle up and walk or Leslie Sansone has great walking tapes for people of all ages and builds. Just move... NOTE: MY PRIOR PCP Told me that if I hadn't been doing yoga, my joints would've seized up a long time ago. Use your muscles and joints....all of them!
- Dance! Play your favorite music and shake that booty of yours! You'll smile and burn calories...but most of all, you will have fun.
- Find someone to hang with who likes to do these things with you...but if you must do it alone, that is fine too. You will get to know yourself better, and really have an opportunity to ....
- Meditate. Give it a go. It is helpful...it really is. Not just Savasana at the end of yoga. Real Meditation. Email me if you want some names of ones I like.
- Enjoy your friends and family at your pace ~ if they understand.
- Embrace each day as a blessing and a gift to unrap...not as "oh, I am sick again, or in so much pain." Wait until you are loosened up enough and take out the mat to work out.
- Make working out a DAILY GIFT to yourself. Truly. I have for over 10 years. Modified, modified and then modified again. But I NEVER quit....
- Finally ~ Never quit, and if you feel like it ~ email me and let's talk. Share your fears and pain with those who know. This is a Universally Isolating Disease. I have been left alone by so many people that loved the "old me". I am learning to accept the new me... I imagine it must be hard for them to accept the new me too.
Keep me posted on your progress! Let me know what you do, and how it is working for you. We all can learn so much from each other. I love doing Chair Yoga now...because I didn't have to give up yoga or Down Dog. You guys all know, I am not a QUITTER...and neither are YOU!
Thriving with RA...we will.